Friday 9 January 2015

Leaving sketches behind: Kristian Lagerroos


Could you tell us a bit about yourself?


My name is Kristian Lagerroos, 26 y. of age and a fourth year furniture design student at the Novia university of applied sciences.


What got you interested in studying furniture design?


The fact that I can put my creativity and imagination into good use and also that I am able to create something concrete with my own hands using my own ideas.


You as a designer / What kind of jobs interest you?


I'm mainly interested in the design aspect of things. I wish to explore the possibilities of different materials while trying to make my products as aesthetically pleasing and functional as I can.


From what angle will you be approaching the theme "Senses"?


I will be approaching it from my own perspective. I wanted to keep things simple and minimal. While I am a rather visual person I want to portray a certain sense of direction through my piece, given that I made it during a difficult time in my personal life when I didn't know what i wanted or was supposed to do.


What do you hope for or expect from Stockholm Furniture Fair 2015?


I'm hoping to be having a good time and I am keen on meeting some interesting people at the fair.


Can you name a piece of furniture that has made an impression on you and why?


Off the top of my head I'd say that the "Nénuphar bed" by Louis Majorelle is a piece of furniture that really impresses me. Basically anything that Majorelle designed and manufactured but that one especially astounds me. I really admire the craftsmanship and the effort that went into making it considering that it was made sometime between 1902-1903. I can only imagine what it must have required to make with the techniques and equipment at the time. I can see that it's the work of a real master.

No comments:

Post a Comment