Monday 26 January 2015

Leaving sketches behind: Annelie Sundfors


 
Name:  Annelie Sundfors        
Age: 21
Hometown:  Nykarleby, Finland


Could you tell us a bit about yourself?

I am a practical person that need variation in what I do. I now live in Turku and study here, but after my exam I think I am ready to go and look around and find other places that will give me new impressions and more inspiration. I moved here from a small town called Nykarleby in Ostrobothnia. Before I applied for Furniture design at Novia university of applied sciences I studied at an art line at a vocational secondary school ( bildartesan/ kuva- artesaani).


What got you interested in studying furniture design?

I express myself best through different kinds of art. Somewhere in the middle of my art studies I became more and more interested in graphic design, industrial design and product design. At some point we went on a class trip to Turku and went to see the furniture design line at Novia. While walking around the school I just got that feeling that this is what I want to study. So then I applied for it and I got in. It is fun and challenging to turn ideas into reality and have it ending up in a piece of furniture, to make pieces that people find attractive and actually want to have around in their daily life.


You as a designer / What kind of jobs interest you?

I like to work by myself as much as I like to work with a engaged group of people. I would say that a job where I get to use my strong sides and get to develop as a designer is important, but further exact what kind of job that would be I can´t say yet.


From what angle will you be approaching the theme "Senses"?

I chose to work with the touching sense and contrasts of different materials. Soft fabric braids meeting hard wood. Simply because I myself like when wood meet other different materials in a little unexpected way.


What do you hope for or expect from Stockholm Furniture Fair 2015?

To meet new people in the same line of business, students as well as professionals. Have a great time with my classmates and enjoy the fact that we have the opportunity to participate. Maybe I find someone to cooperate with, if I’m lucky.


Can you name a piece of furniture that has made an impression on you and why?

That’s a hard question. But if I have to name one, it would be the genius String shelf of Nils and Kajsa Strinning. It’s so simple and clean, fits in almost everyone’s home!

No comments:

Post a Comment