Thursday 29 January 2015

Leaving sketches behind: Tony Sund



Name: Tony Sund
Age: 22
Hometown: Jakobstad, Finland

Could you tell us a bit about yourself?
I grew up in a small harbor town in western Finland called Jakobstad. I’ve always been interested in work where I’m able to use my hands and express creativity. It can be anything from drawing and painting, to making tattoos and build bikes. My previous education was in metal manufacturing with focus on welding. I’m also a big fan of all kinds of extremesports such as skateboarding and snowboarding.

What got you interested in studying furniture design?
I actually got into studying furniture design when my girlfriend was about to apply for the fashion design program at Novia and said to me, “Hey you should apply for the furniture design program at this school, I think that would suit you”. At the time I was bored of bending welding the metal pieces together day after day. I wanted to do something that allowed me to express my creativity and be a bit more artsy. With handsight, this has shown to be one of the best decisions I’ve made. The education and this line of work allows me to grow as the artist I’m looking to become.

You as a designer / What kind of jobs interest you?
I like to think of myself as quite comprehensive when it comes to design. I like to work with wood and its natural structures and patterns. Playing with colors, combining materials such as wood and metal. Basically I like to experiment. One of the reasons I got into furniture design is the freedom showing creativity and the opportunities given in this line of work, to meet people and always being able to grow as a designer and a human being. In the future I’d like to work with other people, not only designers, but also people with different expertise to develop and create products, artwork, services, and so on. One day, sooner or later when I feel ready I might start up my own business. If it’s furniture or something totally different, the future will tell.


From what angle will you be approaching the theme “Senses”?
I’ve made a pair of stools which goes by the name “OUCH!” and the main sense I’ve worked with is touch. The idea is to create a sort of “spike mat” feeling and function in a piece of furniture. I’ve also played a bit with the idea of fear and pain, how our brain learns to gives us a warning by triggering the non-traditional sense of “pain”. For example if we try to put our hand on something very hot. In this case the stools are in fact quite comfortable, the soft shapes and the eye catching colors gives a warm and inviting feeling to the stools. If I would be a spectator at the fair I would get curious of trying them out. I hope others will feel the same way.

What do you hope for or expect from Stockholm Furniture Fair 2015?
My expectations while exhibiting at the fair is to gain experience and get feedback. Networking and creating contacts with both students, designers and other businesspeople is probably my main “mission”. I’m looking forward to see what others have come up with, especially the people exhibiting in greenhouse. Basically I’m looking to have a good time.

Can you name a piece of furniture that has made an impression on you and why?
That’s a difficult question… The first one that comes to mind right now is the string shelf. I’s beautiful, timeless and simple. But I’d like to say that most of the Scandinavian design furniture and many Scandinavian designers have made an impression and inspired me. I’m most inspired by Danish and Finnish design.


No comments:

Post a Comment