Thursday 22 January 2015

Leaving sketches behind: Jonatan Svenfors


Name: Jonatan Svenfors
Age: 22

Hometown: Larsmo


Could you tell us a little bit about yourself?

I'm a Swedish speaking Finn who was born in a small county in Ostrobothnia (eastern Finland) called Larsmo. I currently live in Turku because of my studies. I have a great social sphere here in Turku and therefore I don't know what to do when I graduate. I wouldn't mind being able to stay for a few more years in Turku.


What got you interested in studying furniture design?

The main reason I decided to start studying furniture design was to be able to design and create something myself. I have always been interested in design, architecture and art.


You as a designer / What kind of jobs interest you?

I'm not sure at this stage of my career what I'm going to do in the future, but some kind of freelancing job would probably be the most interesting. It's possible that I study even further after I have graduated to be able to get some more variety in my job.



From what angle will you be approaching the theme "Senses"?

The sense I have tried to simulate is balance. To do that I have made a shelf with shelves hanging in leather straps, which makes a swinging motion.


What do you hope for or expect from Stockholm Furniture Fair 2015?

I look forward to meet new people in the design business. I also look forward to see what other people have come up with. I hope I will get some really good acquaintances at the fair.

Can you name a piece of furniture that has made an impression on you and why?

Eero Aarnio's Ball Chair is a piece of furniture that is a bit special to me. Mostly because my parents have that chair, and it was a really fun chair to sit in when I was a kid. It reminds me of my childhood. But it hasn't inspired me that much in my own designing.

No comments:

Post a Comment