Tuesday 27 January 2015

Leaving sketches behind: Emma Ingelin



Name: Emma Ingelin
Age: 23
Hometown: Pernaja/Pernå

Could you tell us a bit about yourself?
My name is Emma Ingelin and I study Furniture Design at Novia University of Applied Science. I live right now in Turku but I am home from Pernaja. Someday I hope to move back to my hometown, but not until I am an old lady and can quietly enjoy a cup of tea while thinking that my life great. First I want to achieve my dreams and explore the world and what it has to offer me.

What got you interested in studying furniture design?
The biggest reason why I applied to Novia is so that I could work with my hands. I have always loved to paint and draw. Plus that I have a passion for furniture’s and architecture. When becoming a furniture designer means that these things are combined in the same profession. To create and invent things is something that I would do for fun, so why not make it as a future job for myself. I just love to see an idea that I’ve had transform from a thought to reality.

You as a designer / What kind of jobs interest you?
I don’t really see myself working at the same firm/company for too long. I have so much that I would like to do. Freelancing sounds nice in my ears. To get some experience before I go out and do my one thing I would like work as a designer at a bigger company. Then after that I would much like to start my one company and make it blossom.


From what angle will you be approaching the theme "Senses"?
The theme for our fair is “Senses” and I have combined it with nature. Freedom and full harmony enters the soul when spending time in the beautiful finish nature. The reason for my nature inspiration is because I feel that my senses are the most stimulated in the nature. Because of that I wanted to give my product a sense of being outdoors. Soft and hard materials in the product awakens a desire to touch it and the zippers gives away a certain kind of sound.

What do you hope for or expect from Stockholm Furniture Fair 2015?
When exhibiting my product at the Stockholm Furniture and Light Fair 2015, I really hope that it will be remembered by the visitors. Hopefully it will be considered as new and unique as well as beautiful and harmonic. It is every designers dream to be complemented on his/her hard work and maybe wake a lust for someone to buy the idea or the physical product.

Can you name a piece of furniture that has made an impression on you and why?
Growing up in Finland has made me appreciate Scandinavian design and craftsmanship. The simplicity and clean lines appeal to me. I can’t think of any specific furniture that have made a big impression on me, they all have subconsciously I guess.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment