Thursday 29 January 2015

Leaving sketches behind: Roy Metsi

 
Name: Roy-Wilhelm Metsi
Age: 25
Hometown: Turku


Could you tell us a bit about yourself?

I have been building things with my hands since I was little. It has become a habit to think things differently. I am an open minded person who thinks that opportunity lies everywhere. If you just do things in a large scale and repeat the stuff that drives you on there might be a possibility to succeed. I love to sail. The surrounding sea gives me great inspiration.


What got you interested in studying furniture design?

I was raised in natural habitat for making arts and crafts. When I graduated from art high-school I was sure that design studies would be the last piece of the puzzle in almost life-long continuum. I was interested in arts, drawing and photographing. In high-school I started to consider a career from either, but ended up with probably more practical choice. The kind of choice which leaves more possibilities after spending four years with studying it. The with thinking as a designer probably comes from the thinking that.

 
You as a designer / What kind of jobs interest you?

I am very independent when it comes to planning and constructing a furniture. It is good to have a kind of freedom in doing things. Appreciating solitude in work it’s also convenient to have on-going response from fellow students and workers. I would want to spread my competence in design branch with some more studies. I am looking forward to set up my own design studio some day.




From what angle will you be approaching the theme "Senses"?

My view to the theme “Senses” was much related to work environment. I wanted to create a form that lightens the atmosphere in the office, while working, but still remaining playful. Office table dbord could be set as a meeting place for every one in the office. One could stop by and have a cup of coffee or stay longer to check your email, perhaps on the other end of the table. Just to make room for everyone to fit around.


What do you hope for or expect from Stockholm Furniture Fair 2015?

I see the fair as a good way to find opportunities. It’s an opportunity to meet new people, make new contacts from students to professionals. There is also a great amount of purchasing agents wandering around. And it’s of course a great opportunity to have a good time with our class and enjoy the international atmosphere.


Can you name a piece of furniture that has made an impression on you and why?

I have long admired Alvar Aaltos work (from furnitures to architectural entities)  and Artek as a company. Company’s line is very simplistic and integral. If I have to name one furniture from their catalogue, it would be this Ilmari Tapiovaaras chair from 1946: because of it’s light design, yet still heavy with materials. It is also very comfortable to sit.


No comments:

Post a Comment