Tuesday 20 January 2015

Leaving sketches behind: Jenni Enbacka




Name: Jenni Enbacka
Age: 21
Hometown: Närpes, Finland


Could you tell us a bit about yourself?

I grew up in the Finnish country side, with a little bit dirt under my nails, never afraid of using my hands. I went to school in a small town, took my matriculation examination in 2012 and moved to Turku to study furniture design the same year.
I’ve been working summers in many different branches but design and culture are the fields I find the most interesting. I am grateful for all kind of experience though. Experience, and not only working experience, helps me build an understanding perspective on things, which is useful in my work as a designer.

 
What got you interested in studying furniture design?
 
I chose to study design because there is something very fascinating about how an idea becomes a sketch and finally a product. I want to believe that all kind of jobs are creative to a certain point, but to specific work creatively with design as a different way of making the world a better place.
When I was a child people told me I had sharp eyes, noticing details and small things, so the visual has been with me all the way. As long as I remember all kinds of crafts have been pleasant, to make something creative and useful with my hands. I find both these traits useful when designing and good design has for a long time had my curiosity.

 
You as a designer / What kind of jobs interest you? 
My designs have clean lines and I like simplicity, quite Nordic, functionalistic and timeless. I think that beautiful furniture is important, but also that it should leave space for personal touch to the room and home. Furniture is not my only interest when it comes to design though. Lamps, interior, porcelain and jewelry, and maybe services are other things I would like to design someday.
 



From what angle will you be approaching the theme "Senses"?
 
To be active and not to sit too much in everyday life is trending. Anyway we tend to want to sit if we get the chance. I designed my piece of furniture with all this in mind, and I found balance as an inspiring sense. My rocking stool activates while sitting.


What do you hope for or expect from Stockholm Furniture Fair 2015?
 
I hope to get some good advice, contacts and a lot of experience. I want to grow as a designer through feedback and thoughts shared at the fair. I would be thrilled if a company shows interest towards my design. I’m excited, a bit nervous, but I think it will be educating and fun.


Can you name a piece of furniture that has made an impression on you and why?

That’s a tricky question, but first in my mind will be the Finnish designer Yrjö Kukkapuro’s Karuselli armchair. It’s a modern timeless classic with everything well-reasoned. It’s hard work well done, both aesthetically and ergonomically. You can notice that he really has worked with the human body in mind not leaving the visual appearance behind. And I like that it’s a bit playful and fun. Try it if you get the chance!

2 comments:

  1. As a furniture designer you know that decoration with furniture is an exciting way to enhance the beauty of a home. To include a sofa recliner or a rocker recliner is the most attractive way to beautify living space. Please take a look on recliner reviews to find out the best fit of your home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great informative post, Ti,s really very needful for me. In the website I found information how to decorated my living room with a best dressing table .

    ReplyDelete